Thursday, December 9, 2010

OOTD: Riverdance

A few days ago, the Boy and I went to Riverdance at Marina Bay Sands Theatre. The Boy really had a fascination with Riverdance, we booked tickets the moment they were released and he had been looking forward to the day ever since.

The problem with most Singaporeans is that because of our warm climate and high humidity level, people tend to dress for comfort. But because of this very same reason, comfort doesn't necessarily equate fashion or formal. It is common to find people going for musicals, concert performances and even wedding dinners in jeans and flip-flops. There is nothing wrong with jeans but it would be lovely to see everybody dress up as an effort. Now you may ask, why should we dress up? For some, being 'clean' is their best but personally my heart tells me that wearing my best is showing the person his/her value to me plus I feel really good about myself. The church-goers wear their "Sunday Best" to show God what he means to them so why wouldn't we do the same to the artistes we respect, the dancers we admire and the people we love during an important day of their lives?



Usually I have an occasional splatter of sparkle somewhere around me. It could be a shiny ring, a dazzling necklace, a sparky scarf, a glistening pair of earrings but you know that when I attempt to bring them out all together, this is serious. I want to shine!




Verdict for Forever21+ Sequin Skirt:
I felt lovely that day even though there were a few mishaps. If you don't already know, the more sequins I have on me, the more empowered I am by them. My mother thought I looked sparkly, colleagues thought I looked pretty and I am sure I walked with a skip in every step that day. One of the mishaps was that this skirt is generously adorned with sequins which is also a good thing but I have to say that many a time, I rubbed my arm full across it and had gotten many scratches as a result. In fact when the day was over, I looked like a self-mutilating victim but that won't stop me from wanting to own the skirt!



One of my favourite recent acquisitions. A stranger who was queuing up to buy fruit juice with me told me she thought it was dazzling.



Chloe had the same pair in a rose gold tone. I've seen this around for maybe a year but everytime I asked to try, they didn't have my size. There is another pair in a pewter tone which is a darker shade of gray. This is the silver colour which they made by request of many pleading customers. I had 2 weddings to attend to this month and I am tired of my feet hurting like hell in heels so am very glad to procure a pair of flats as such which twinkles like the stars. What could go wrong went wrong with the shoes though. I kicked a kerb and I could feel my heart breaking when I saw a few diamantes roll out. The claws of the diamantes also did not react favourably to carpeted floors. They kept getting caught in the carpet but I still love them very much.


Dinner at Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Cafe at Marina Bay Sands before Riverdance. The Boy had the Caesar Salad.


I had the roast chicken with spinach pasta.


My favourite drink that comes only once a year - the Dark Chocolate Peppermint Mocha.

During the Riverdance performance, I was resisting the urge to tap my feet heavily and leap onto the stage. The dance spirit is so infectious! The dancers looked like they are genuinely having a good time. I am very impressed with the passion that the male lead dancer, Padriac Moyles displayed. There was fire in his eyes and a surety in his steps that only the most experienced and confident could reveal. There was a piece of instrumental music performed on the Uilleann pipes which is incredibly heartwrenching and powerful - Caoineadh Cú Chulainn.



The Riverdance Crew recorded their highest performance ever at the Marina Bay Sands SkyPark, 200 metres above ground. They are applying to have this feat recognised by Guinness World Records as a performance on the highest stage in the world. (source)


I thought their costumes blended perfectly into the blue of the swimming pool and background.



Bows for Forever21+ Sequin Skirt



Pussybow Blouse: New Look
Sequin Skirt: Forever21+
Bird Necklace: Forever21
Shoes: Pazzion

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


posted by The Merry Traveller at

13 Comments:

Blogger thomessa said...

Wow, I'm loving the ENTIRE outfit! It's soooo elegant and feminine! All that shine is working! That drink looks delicious!

December 9, 2010 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Una said...

A few scratches are worth how amazing you look in all that glam. I guess sequins have a price to pay. I've been dragged to riverdance several times, and secretly i find myself tapping my feet too. Shhh don't tell anyone.

December 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger neffbot said...

So cute! I love the bow on the blouse!

December 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM  
Blogger ElleBee said...

You look so cute, love, love, love the skirt! :)

December 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM  
Blogger The Merry Traveller said...

Thomessa: Pepperminty drinks are only available during Christmas season which is a pity because they are so delicious that I could drink them all year round.

CurvyEveryday: I had so many scratches that I could cry but I had to tell myself "Yes, at least I sparkle".

Rebecca: Yes pussybows are lovely on blouses, I had to resist buying every single blouse with a pussybow because essentially they are all alike but with different fabric and print.

Lynn: If you are interested, it is still available at the Forever21+ website! Perfect for Christmas I think!

December 9, 2010 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Bethamint said...

beautiful shoes!
I am terrible with heels, so a flat shoe that looks glamorous is always very appealing to me.

December 9, 2010 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger Natalie Mulford said...

You look amazing & i'm so very in love with that skirt! I hate that sequins often scratch, for such pretty things they can frustrating!

December 9, 2010 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger ThriftyMomma said...

just found you through curvyeveryday blog. Glad I did! that necklace is fantastic! It looks really well made and expensive. Doing a giveaway on my blog if you get a chance check it out!

December 10, 2010 at 12:15 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Amazing outfit! You are SO cute! :)

December 10, 2010 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger The Merry Traveller said...

Bethamint: And I would agree. Anything with sequins and rhinestones and bows appeal to me. I seriously can't balance in heels. I live in the perpetual fear of falling and crashing.

Natalie: I know you love sequins like I do but sequins are like our partners. If we want to love them, we have to accept all their faults (being scratchy). Hehe.

ThriftyMomma: Thank you for dropping by! I saw the giveaway on your blog but I don't think I can fit into the dress so I'm going to give others a chance!

Elizabeth: Thanks and as do you!

December 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM  
Blogger dc said...

Love those pictures and this outfit is just perfect!
DC
xx
http://dentelleetchocolat.blogspot.com/

December 11, 2010 at 1:43 AM  
Blogger StephanieDJL said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I love your outfit especially the skirt :D

December 12, 2010 at 4:25 AM  
Blogger evie said...

You look divine as always. I know I always say it but what I love most about your style is that you almost always have a bit of sparkle and you do it so well.
I'm so with you on the people not dressing up thing, here in NZ it's the same. Even though we have a relatively cool winter people still think flip flops are ok. Most women never properly dress up here, but whats worse is when I do dress up (and I mean just dress a bit nicely, not a ball gown or anything) people will ask me what the occasion is or where I'm going. Like I need some Wedding to go to to wear a nice dress!
Speaking of Weddings, people even dress quite casually for Weddings here and wear lots of black and noone wears hats. argh can you tell how annoyed I am. hehe

So yay for you beating the heat and looking gorgeous as ever.

xxx

December 14, 2010 at 2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home








 



EMAIL: themerrytraveller at gmail dot com.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter