Monday, November 1, 2010

OOTD: Glitter Sleeves + Haul-To-Die-For

I think I am definitely getting brave by today's standard of outfit post because it features quite a large picture of me compared to the teeny me in the last one - yes the one that my features are measured in millimeters. I can take full body pictures of myself with a face in it because ... I was in a dressing room so I might as well make use of the large full-length body mirror!

Last Christmas, I was mad for sequins and glitter. Okay maybe that is not quite the truth because I go ga-ga over them every single Christmas and I never get tired of the sparkly because they make me feel festive and brighten up my mood instantly. A special glow just seems to radiate the moment you don on the glitterati. Since Christmas is fast approaching again, I've decided to bring on the shiny just a wee bit earlier.


All that glitters is not gold.


No idea what this particular type of sleeve is called but I secretly acknowledge it as the 'pixie sleeve'. Pixies in storybooks seem to have sleeves like these.


Tadah! Thank you Topshop for the use of your lovely mirror and space.

There is much cause for excitement today. Guess what came in the mail?


The dream dress that I've been hankering after ever since it came out.

I pulled it on almost immediately but I should have seriously sized down for this. I know how people said to size down in their reviews (which I read very diligently) but having a thick waist made me reconsider and opted for one size safer. I'll rather it be big than not being able to wear it at all! Turns out that the sleeves are flutteringly (is there such a word?) big on me but I'm not going to go through the hassle of sending it back .. think of the postage I would incur and not to mention the potential horror of lost mail! In Rebecca's words, I'm going to wear it and love it. I'll have to think of some way to modify it into more wearable sleeves. The dress length is so so perfect though. Even the Mother likes it and asked why I didn't order one for her!

Lady Luck decided to shine thoroughly upon me today. I also received three gorgeous skirts. I ordered 2 skirts from Faith21, one in 2X and another in 3X but a friend ordered this nude mesh skirt with chantilly lace trim in size L from Forever21 that was too long for her and asked if it would fit me. I didn't even so much have to struggle into it! It had an elastic waistband and what could originally fit a size 12 by default now slips up my size 20/22 bottom with ease! The only problem is that the petticoat is clingy in the areas I don't want it to cling to but I was desperate enough to make it work so I worked the petticoat furiously to stretch out of its shape to fit me! I just just couldn't give the skirt up.


How does one give up a skirt like this? How?


The jeweled mesh pleated skirt in navy blue with sparkly bits all over, first seen on Chloe.


The pretty sequin skirt, also seen on Sonia and Chloe.

A few months ago, I lost the chance to purchase a tunic from Topshop with Leopard print collar because they ran out of sizes by the time I got around to it. I spotted the exact same design made with different (cheaper) material again and made a beeline for it. I would have preferred the more expensive one in viscose (only because I really like viscose) but I am not going to complain. If you can't tell by now, I am in no way a restrained shopaholic. The only time I stop is only really when I stop being able to feed myself. This, I emphasize, is not good but I am resolving harder to change it.


I freaking adore the collar!

I have an impending interview on Thursday. I hate interviews and get all stressed up about it but these clothes gave me a little comfort today. Wish me luck!

Glitter Sleeves Tee: Dorothy Perkins' last Christmas collection
Denim Skirt: Big Anusa from Bangkok
Sandals: Birkenstock
Red Bag hanging from the rail: Mango

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,


posted by The Merry Traveller at

9 Comments:

Blogger Erin {Plus Sized Pretty} said...

You are living my dreams right now! I have been eyeing those same skirts and the polka dot dress but I am poor! Hah.
That top is lovely! I also become enamored by sequins in the winter. Like you said, they are so festive!

November 2, 2010 at 7:07 AM  
Blogger Natalie Mulford said...

I love the first top! And I would call it a pixie sleeve too, cause it does remind me of the sleeves pixies are always drawn with!!

I <3 my Beth Ditto spotted dress! It is perfection!

November 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Anna ♥ said...

Oh, I love your Birkies!

+ Good luck with the interview tomorrow!

November 4, 2010 at 2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definately like the leopard print collar, I adore it. I also googled L.A. Girl nail polishes, I love the colours! I'm definately thinking of investing in some. And I too also get all giddly over sequins and glitter clothing at christmas! Hope your interview goes well, good luck

novemberconfessions.blogspot.com

November 4, 2010 at 4:35 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh no! I'm sorry your Beth Ditto dress is too big, I can't help but feel responsible :(

November 4, 2010 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger The Merry Traveller said...

Erin: At least you can be comforted that you are no spendthrift like me :(

Natalie: I just found the post where you wore the Beth Ditto dress. And of course you look great. Everyone I saw looks fabulous in the dress. So glad I got it even in the far away Singapore!

Anna: I love Birkies, i even wear them in the rain even though the sales girl told me repeatedly not to. And I finished my interview, so hurray!

Maryrose: I've had one of the turquoise disco colours and went out and bought another 3 more! I do like the disco colour series!

Elizabeth: The size was entirely my choice and I still love my dress so shush, you don't have to feel bad because I'll wear it and look fabulous in mine :) Apparently I must be quite short compared to you. The dress is knee length for me!

November 4, 2010 at 1:51 PM  
Blogger Louise said...

I love that glitter sleeve top on you, it looks fantastic! And that final black tunic with peter pan collar is soooo cute xx

November 6, 2010 at 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your blog is awesome! Do you do all the photography yourself? You have really great skills. I have a feeling that I'll be coming to your blog for fashion inspiration :). I love that skirt your friend gave you. I'm a sucker for romantic lace details!

November 7, 2010 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger The Merry Traveller said...

Louise: Thanks! That was the 2nd time it had been worn. Haha so under-utilized.

theplussideofme: I did do the photography myself and sometimes I wish I don't have to for my outfit posts but it feels so awkward to have others do it for you. I can't pose properly at all so I try to find odd places people seldom go to and snap it fast! I have a new camera my bf gave me so I am trying to explore more creative angles.

November 9, 2010 at 12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home








 



EMAIL: themerrytraveller at gmail dot com.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter