Monday, November 22, 2010

OOTD: ASOS I Bow To Thee

Since I've discovered how reasonable ASOS shipping to Singapore has been, I've been very obsessively checking in everyday to see what new items they have and till date, I've already shared two shipments with my coworkers and it is very exciting for us to have packages to open up to during our mundane workdays!

I remember what Evie said about stepping out of comfort zone in her "Taking A Risk..." blog entry and decided to try to inch out of it. I used to be a "walking Christmas Tree" according to a friend when she saw me for the first time in office five and a half years ago. I made sure then I had colourful necklace, bracelets and earrings everyday then and was dripping with accessories although they weren't diamonds. Five and a half years later and nearly reaching thirty (ugghh), I have toned down a lot and chose to wear only a piece or two at a time. Basically my accessories are now stored in boxes now, waiting for the day to shine. I wore one of my regular necklaces these days and dug out not one, not two ... but four others to put on this day. Why the hell not, right?



This is my glitter-iest scarf to date for sure, a tribute to my sequins obsession and I grabbed it off the Zara shelf when I saw it, draped it over myself, felt pretty in it and brought it straight to the cashier. It works really well over plain tops, especially white ones. I am still looking for creative ways to wear it. Over dinner, it kind of felt like a bib on me. I was petrified of dripping soup on it.



This is the ASOS CURVE Jersey Puff Sleeve Zip Back Top in Black. It comes in two colours and if there is a sale, I'll get the other colour for sure. The jersey material is ultra comfortable, sweat-absorbent and does its job of keeping me nice and cool in the ever hot and humid Singaporean weather. I am always partial to the "Puff Sleeve" design because my shoulders are a little droopy and puff sleeves add a little definition to them. The invisible zip is just a nice touch. My basic black top criteria is that it must have subtle details to make it not too casual so that I can wear out in the evenings if needed, nicely-made because I wear the heck out of them. At £20, even though it is expensive after currency conversion, I can justify it because it has everything I look for.



This is a navy blue bow skirt on clearance at ASOS but sadly it is no longer available. On the model, it looks very short but seeing that the model is 5'11, I knew that the skirt length would be perfect on the short me and it is. When it was on clearance, it only had my size so I knew that Providence decreed that I should own this and pounced on it. Made of linen material means it creases slightly after wash and if I didn't hang it up but it doesn't bother me. I love the bow on the skirt but I wish it was stiffer so that it would be noticed. The waist didn't really fit that well but if I had gone for a size smaller, my tummy would be quite visible. The thing about tight-fitting clothes is that whenever I go on the subway, considerate beings would stand up and let me have their seats which embarrassed me no end so I try to stay away from the seating area most of the time. But at £6, there is absolutely no complaints from me. Zilch. One of the best ASOS buys ever.



My well-loved leopard print shoes are the reason I keep trying to match my clothes to it nowadays. It is flat and comfortable, allows me to run after buses, thieves and away from the rain! The Boy doesn't understand leopard print but ... the print, they spoke passionately to me!



The gold bearings necklace is a current staple and goes well on most stuff I own but I haven't worn the rings out in ages. The red felt ring was a handmade Etsy buy years ago and was twilled from 100% merino wool with a vintage button secured in. I have another in gray.


The entire outfit.


I found this pair of camel harem trousers which look pretty perfect in Dorothy Perkins the other day but alas, it doesn't come in my size. Dorothy Perkins should carry bigger sizes in Singapore. I would have bought it in a heartbeat if I could wear it.

* * *

In Chinese tradition, when a newly-born turns a month old, it is a cause for celebration. Parents would either whip up a storm and invite friends and family over or cater a buffet if they are too lazy. I was working on the day my coworker has a "one month old" celebration so he brought over some traditional sweets and cakes for those who couldn't attend the actual event.


Swiss rolls and cream cakes of various toppings


Fruit tarts


Chocolate and Coffee tarts with Love


Perplexing-looking cakes and dyed red eggs

The red cakes are known as 'Ang Ku Kueh' or a literal translation of 'red tortoise cakes'. If you look carefully, it has a tortoise-shell design on it. In reality, it is a steamed glutinous rice flour cake mixed with mashed sweet potato and filled with mung bean paste filling or finely-grounded peanuts. They have a symbolic auspicious meaning to it. Tortoises or turtles are viewed as creatures blessed with longevity so in serving these to guests, it is a hope that the baby would live to a long, ripe age. The eggs are dyed red because the colour red represents happiness and good luck. Eggs are significant because they symbolize fertility and the renewal of life. Also, their shape is traditionally associated with harmony and unity. Yes, we chinese are all about symbolism!

Bows for ASOS Curve Jersey Puff Sleeve Zip Back Top



Bows for
ASOS Curve Navy Bow Skirt



Jersey Puff Sleeve Zip Back Top: ASOS Curve
Navy Blue Bow Skirt: ASOS Curve
Leopard Print Shoes: "Your Feet Look Gorgeous" range from New Look
Sequinned Scarf: Zara
Handmade Merino Wool Ring: 3FUN from Etsy
Lips Ring: a shop off Far East Plaza
Gold Bearings Necklace: Soon Lee, Haji Lane

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


posted by The Merry Traveller at

9 Comments:

Blogger evie said...

You have such amazing style, what I always love about your looks is that you always bring a bit of glitz and it works so well. I would die for those shoes...and the skirt,,,,and the cakes. Oh dear!

November 22, 2010 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger Anna ♥ said...

I love your scarf :)

By the way: what nail polish do you use? Is it really neonish pink? It looks amazing!

Those Ang Ku Keh sound like Japanese mochi. As much as I love symbolic Asian food, mochi was the most horrible thing I've ever tried - ever. It just felt wrong in my mouth. Haha!

November 22, 2010 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger The Merry Traveller said...

Evie: Thanks! I'm a glitter girl and if flapper dresses fit me well, I would probably try live in them. You have a wonderful style too and I wish I could have your style sometimes!

Anna: This particular nail colour is from OPI. Link: http://www.opi.com/nailstudio/NailStudio_SA.shtml and it's the Holy Pink Pagoda! Recently I've been going through all the disco colours phase. The previous one was turquoise. If only I am a little bit more hardworking, I would change them every week but now I let them stay till they peel off .. And yes Ang Ku Kueh is like japanese mochi due to the glutinous quality so now you can avoid them!

November 22, 2010 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm always drooling over your beautiful pics, those sweets look so delightful! and you look beautiful <3 I never quite know how to pull of sequins and I love how you styled them here. I don't know if ASOS ships to Dubai but I know my wallet is already weeping hehe- I've been dreaming about those pants for a while!

p.s my mom would freak at my evil eye jewellery and probably start praying for me at church. At least they're entertaining -_-

November 22, 2010 at 4:56 PM  
Anonymous Allison said...

What a gorgeous outfit! I love the bow detail on your skirt! ... and I am drooling over the pictures of cakes and tarts! Yum!

November 22, 2010 at 10:53 PM  
Blogger Bethamint said...

So in love with that sequined scarf!

November 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I adore this outfit!

November 27, 2010 at 7:20 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Fantastic outfit! The subtle details really pull everything together. The scarf and top are amazing. I'm a sequin junkie too! I should wear my pieces more but they seem to snag on everything...

November 28, 2010 at 6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

may i ask what size your ASOS puff sleeve top is :) ta x

May 10, 2011 at 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home








 



EMAIL: themerrytraveller at gmail dot com.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter