Wednesday, December 1, 2010

OOTD: Pottering Around

I set the camera on a 10 seconds mode and posed outside the apartment when I've double checked that there was no one around but it couldn't focus. A pity.



It was Sunday and I was going to catch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows so I wore the ASOS CURVE Cotton Crochet Trim Chick Dress. I was going to keep it for another night out. I have this habit of squirreling dresses away in the event that something major comes along, it wouldn't catch me unaware and in a frenzy to buy clothes but the "major" event never really did occur. I do have a stock of skirts and dresses which I can just easily extricate from the recesses of my wardrobe. I knew I had to have the bag when I spied it in a shop in Suan Lum Night Bazaar, Bangkok. The workmanship is good, the colours are easy to match, it is waterproof but I cannot be certain that it is the real deal. The price was pretty steep but still far lesser than the original.



I am very pleased with this set of outfit pictures because I made use of Zara's bright double-mirror dressing room and I took the pictures myself. I was never comfortable with outdoor outfit poses but once left alone in the dressing room, that's when I come alive.



Verdict for ASOS Curve Cotton Crochet Trim Chick Dress:
I am a size 20/22 by Dorothy Perkins standard and don't really know what size to order from ASOS as this is the first time but I figured that to be able to wear them is better than to wear them tightly or feel awkward or not able to wear them at all! This is a wonderful dress in terms of length. It ended nicely on my knees and has two front pockets which I love resting my hands and keeping my phone in. It had a elastic waistband so this dress felt larger on me and I am certain I could probably fit nicely into size 20 but it doesn't bother me. If the waist is too big, I'll belt it. The one grouse I do have is the sleeves, they are kinda too big and tends to flap around which I don't like but I could live with it although I also have this fear of dipping my sleeves into soup. I am also very afraid of catching the lace details around the neckline on my bag or accidentally tear it with my nails. I am very accident-prone that way.



This is also my first time in tights. I never could find tights to fit me. Not in Marks & Spencer or anywhere else so when Dorothy Perkins started carrying them in varied jewelled tones, I was excited. I even had doubles of the black and grey but the annoying thing is that for a plus size retailer, their tights only go up to XL (equivalent of a size 18) so I spent a very irritating rest of the day discreetly trying to stop it from rolling down my hips and landing in a pool on the floor. The quality of the tights are also quite good because all the tugging and rubbing haven't left any holes in them yet but I could jolly well do a larger size please. Would I wear them again? I have to because I have a few pairs but I would be sure to wear them beneath shorts or bicycle shorts to stop their descending journey.




Zara has some great stuff and their Winter collection is droolworthy but to stop my revolving eye (I overspent at Forever21, ASOS and New Look), I grabbed this camel tone dress (it was standing in my way) and made a beeline for the dressing room. I like the soft fabric, the shoulder details and the warm camel colour but do not like the way it hugged my tummy with passion and the length so it was a definite no.

Bows for ASOS Curve Cotton Crochet Trim Chick Dress



Cotton Crochet Trim Chick Dress: ASOS Curve
Purple Tights: Dorothy Perkins
Studded Brogues: "Your Feet Look Gorgeous" range from New Look
Ring: Topshop
Bag: Marc by Marc Jacobs (authenticity unclear)
Studded Belt: Dorothy Perkins

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,


posted by The Merry Traveller at

12 Comments:

Blogger Una said...

The photos in the dressing room came out great. I've never shopped for myself in zara because i thought nothing would fit me, I'll have to give them a try. That bag is so worth it!

December 1, 2010 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger The Merry Traveller said...

CurvyEveryday: Yes you should try out Zara/Mango etc. It may not be often that we can find something but there are things I do fit in! Good luck!

December 1, 2010 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Anika http://www.byanika.com said...

Hi sweetheart, I love love love this outfit! the lace, the belt, the purple tights :) and your moves in the dressingroom :))

I love your blog, and your style. can`t tell you often enough :)

<3 Anika
http://wwww.sweetfacedstyle.blogspot.com
Twitter: @AnikaSweetface

December 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM  
Blogger Pretty Penny Mae said...

I just love this dress! I wanted it so badly, but they quickly ran out of my size, so so sad. Anyway, it looks stunning on you! I love the detail of the black lace.
Brooke

December 1, 2010 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

The Asos dress is gorgeous on you!

December 2, 2010 at 3:49 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I love the black dress! Gorgeous. And seeing Harry Potter? Marvelous! I finally saw it and loved/adored it

December 2, 2010 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger Erin {Plus Sized Pretty} said...

Love that dress! Perfect for Harry Potter too.
A big girls tights dilema is definitely stressful! I'm dealing with similar issues right now. I like your idea of wearing shorts though, that may help!

December 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both dresses are gorgeous! And you look gorgeous in your pictures (even the fuzzy one!). How did you like the movie? I kind of want to see it again.

December 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger The Merry Traveller said...

Anika: Thank you, I was feeling pretty good for trying out purple tights. You should be proud of yourself for taking apart and putting clothes together.

Brooke: I remembered it going off the "shelf" after I checked out with one. I guess I was just lucky!

Elizabeth: Thank you!

Vanessa: I am a big Harry Potter fan, not so big as to wear Gryffindor scarf but big nonetheless!

Erin: Haha when I find some that will hold up, I'll let you know!

theplussideofme: I want to have like some kind of a Potter marathon once everything finished showing. I wished they had a 5 hours movie for Deathly Hallows and cut the crap with suspense! Grr.

December 3, 2010 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger StephanieDJL said...

I adore everything about this outfit! <3

December 4, 2010 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger BBM said...

YOU, my dearest, is freakin A.DO.RA.BLE. you are my newest fave blog! i am soooo jealous of ure wardrobe! this is when i wish i live in the UK. i love ure style girl, ure blog will be my read tonight! gotta catch up! keep it comin!

December 7, 2010 at 1:36 AM  
Blogger dc said...

I really like your blog and yoour style!
DC
xx
http://dentelleetchocolat.blogspot.com/

December 9, 2010 at 3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home








 



EMAIL: themerrytraveller at gmail dot com.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter