Thursday, December 16, 2010

Bowdicts


Carrie Bradshaw's Wardrobe

It is really no secret that I am a shopaholic. In fact I have this fear of not having enough clothes. If someone hasn't come up with a word for that type of syndrome and ends with -phobic, they should.

I am ashamed because all these money could really be saved up for a rainy day or put to better use but to justify, Singapore is a dismal place for thrifting and there are scarcely places that have a decent size range with the big girls in mind and even if there is, the bigger size clothes are snatched up faster than you can go "Holy Molly". And we have ourselves no Primark. Instead we have unflattering clothes designed to emphasize our very fears and help your self-esteem plunge a new low. So ever since discovering the joy of online shopping, I've been throwing myself into its embrace, choosing to skim on other little things like the refusal to do my hair until I can bear it no longer or going shopping locally trying to squeeze into ill-fitting clothes and I work through public holidays to earn the right to more purchasing power. In case you are wondering, everything is bought with cold hard cash otherwise I'll say so.

Since it is almost impossible for me to just send back clothes that don't fit, I rely on my instincts, scrutinizing the details of a garment to decide if I need a bigger size or take the gamble for a smaller one. I also rely a lot on reviews from each and everyone of you who have perhaps bought the same garment and share your pictures with me so that I can see how it fits. I have relied many a time on Devon over at Fat Nurse for reference and saved myself some when I decide it is not for me. I've trawled Elizabeth's and Rebecca's blogs when I was trying to buy me a Beth Ditto Polka Dot Dress.

ASOS Curve is quite decidedly ridiculous to cloth women who are a most likely size 14 in their size 20 onwards garment. Forever21+ is a little better. At least the model is probably a size 16 - 18 and they sell up to a 3X anyway. But ASOS Curve, come on! So to cut the long story short, I have included a bowdict system for newly-bought garments which might help you to decide if it is worth biting the bullet for or if you are going to wait for a gigantic discount code.

Bowdict is just a mash of two words "Bows" and "Verdict". I'll use the number of bows to indicate my liking for that particular garment just like what you see for movie reviews. All bow scores are out of five.

The bow looks like this:


I've already started modifying some previous entries to include the bowdicts! All bowdicts are my own opinion and one is always welcome to agree or disagree! Afterall, not all bodies are made the same to fit the same.

Labels: , , ,


posted by The Merry Traveller at

8 Comments:

Blogger thomessa said...

That's a nifty idea! And I love that cute little bow! I spent one day on Asos Curve debating if I should order a jacket that was so cute but I was worried about the size so I went else-where with my monies. I'm glad your doing this!

December 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger T. said...

I have to say I have never bought a single item of clothing online (apart from a pair of trainers & a costume or two) because of my irrational fear of sizing. I know I'm missing out on a whole world of shopping. I see all the beautiful things other bloggers buy online and browse for myself, then fill my basket and totally wimp out. Your 'bowdicts' is a great idea, maybe it'll give me the confidence to finally excersize my online shopping skills.

December 16, 2010 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger The Merry Traveller said...

Thomessa and Theresa: There are fears I haven't totally overcome from online shopping which are shoes, pants and lingerie. I am one of those girls who cannot get her bra size right! I finally followed Evans' guide on how to measure but I read a different site and it says a different thing, so annoying. As for shoes, the UK, US sizing confuse me and I am constantly wondering if they will pinch because if there is something I fear, it's a pair of shoes that will cause me to limp. And pants, I don't know .. pants are just somehow not like skirts but I told myself to break free and will order shoes and pants to try shortly. Don't be afraid. Follow the size guide! For example, my waist is 46" and I go for Size 22 items at ASOS Curve which states the waist to be for 43". There's usually room to spare. If you give me your measurements I can also help to see if a certain item will fit you on ASOS Curve now that I am more acquainted with their sizing!

December 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Una said...

Such a cute idea, love bowdicts.

December 17, 2010 at 2:12 AM  
Anonymous Bella said...

New to your blog but I had to comment how great I think the "bowdicts" rating system is! I'm very much looking forward to checking back and seeing how you rate future items! Love the hair bow!

December 17, 2010 at 4:20 AM  
Blogger StephanieDJL said...

Cute bows? I love it!

December 17, 2010 at 6:59 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Love the new rating system! Should be fun! I'm in love with bows, so I'm a bit biased!

December 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger evie said...

That's such a great idea and a brilliant resource for people looking for that kind of info (which lots of people are). Looking forward to seeing more your bowdicts!

December 20, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home








 



EMAIL: themerrytraveller at gmail dot com.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter