Saturday, February 5, 2011

OOTD: Fireworks

Hello! I haven't been around as much as I should this week because:

a. I am growing out my horrendous bangs which I had my hair stylist cut despite his disproving and mournful looks as he took the scissors to me. But of course, it seems like it is a disaster so I am letting it settle and grow out a bit. I also did some straightening on top of it so the short bangs jut out like .. it doesn't belong to my head.
b. It is Chinese New Year in places where the Chinese people roam. For those in the know, this is the Year of the Rabbit. For those who are interested in our chinese culture, please feel free to read about Chinese New Year here. In a nutshell, I have been feasting all week, getting time off work, collecting red packets from my parents and married friends, entertaining my aunt who came to visit from Taiwan and whom I will also be hanging out with when I go over in April and visiting some friends with mandarin oranges. I know these may sound really strange or foreign but it is very much imbued into our Chinese culture! Parents give children red packets during Chinese New Year just like how parents give children money for Christmas and I can't really explain well far beyond that. My mother gave me an extra large packet this year (which means more money!) for me to make a new pair of contact lens but I had already spent that money on two new tops from New Look unfortunately (oops) and also on a Valentines' Day present for my boyfriend so I am broke once again.

Outfit of the Day is backdated till I find some time off and get some new pictures taken with the abysmal fringe.







This dress is from Dorothy Perkins from at least a year ago and it has a name! It's called the "Fireworks" dress, not inspired by Katy Perry whatsoever. I wanted to make a special mention because it can be considered a favourite because it is my go-to dress whenever I have no idea what to wear, when I feel down, when I feel happy and is a perfect summer dress for its short sleeves (which you can't see in the above pictures) and I've also considered that if I should ever need to run away, I will wear this very dress! Not that I really have a reason to because I am too old for running away now. The denim jacket is liked for its puff sleeves. I would have loved it if it is a size larger BUT this is a size 16, the last of its kind in the stores at that time and a proof that with a lot of squeezing, we can still fit into some objects of desire.

Dress: Dorothy Perkins
Denim Jacket: Dorothy Perkins
Flats: Dorothy Perkins
Bow Necklace: River Island
Red Acrylic Ring: Actually Actually
Heart-Shaped Ring: Airport
Huge Stone Ring: Diva

Labels: , , , , , , ,


posted by The Merry Traveller at

33 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have just fallen in LOVE with that pink ring on your finger! :)

http://www.RebequitasFashionBlog.BlogSpot.com

xoxoxox

February 5, 2011 at 2:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Chinese New Year btw!

February 5, 2011 at 2:37 AM  
Blogger aroselikethis said...

that dress is lovely :) and i really like the little jacket!

www.aroselikethis.blogspot.com xx

February 5, 2011 at 2:50 AM  
Blogger Lexy of BeautyFash said...

You look adorable! Love the jewels and the nail color. That jacket is co cute!

February 5, 2011 at 3:27 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Cute dress! It looks great, especially paired with the denim shrug!

February 5, 2011 at 5:07 AM  
Blogger Stiletto Siren said...

Very cute look! Love the sparkly rainbow quality of accessories too!
xoxo
Stiletto

February 5, 2011 at 5:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy New Year! I like the new year because it means my Vietnamese boss/best friend brings me spring rolls and new years cake w/pork and mung bean. mmmmm! You look so cute in this post. I love that dress! where'd you get it? Also the bow necklace is delish, I'm drooling! I hope you have a good valentine's day darling, and that your boyfriend got you something lovely.

February 5, 2011 at 5:27 AM  
Blogger Gazel M. said...

You loook sooo cute. Happy new years and love love love!
xx

February 5, 2011 at 5:27 AM  
Blogger laura said...

happy bunny new year! I miss actually getting to celebrate CNY. I miss the ang paos, the spring rolls, bean cakes (ok, well not the cakes so much). I've been eating a ton of oranges though! i am gonna be lucky this year :)

February 5, 2011 at 5:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! This is my favorite look on you. That dress looks so great on you. I love your little bow necklace!!

February 5, 2011 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger thomessa said...

Happy Chinese New Year! Getting lots of money must be fun! :) Let me just say how much I love the print on this dress! And then all the accessories that you added to it are very pretty. That huge pink ring is so lovely!

February 5, 2011 at 6:14 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Looking gorgeous, love the print of the dress and the cropped denim jacket is wonderful! The red ring is great too, it reminds me of haribo sweets =)


Bow Dream Nation xx

February 5, 2011 at 7:18 AM  
Blogger alison said...

I love that dress! It's definitely fireworks-appropriate. I can't wait for warmer weather to bust out my light denim pieces. Btw, your hair looks great - no awful bangs in sight! Cheers!

February 5, 2011 at 7:36 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I love having one or two go-to dresses in my closet that I know are always going to be cute and always going to be appropriate for any occasion! I love the fireworks print - such a cool, abstract graphic design. They should make more fireworks print dresses! I'd snap them all up!
And, your jeweled bow necklace is adorable.
(Hope your bangs grow quickly, or you learn to like them more! I bet you are still just as cute as ever!)

February 5, 2011 at 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Bella said...

Happy Chinese New Year! I love the fireworks dress! I can see why it's your go-to dress! It sparkles, girly! Just like that cute heart ring! Me like!

February 5, 2011 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Una said...

Oooh, I love everything about this. That dress is so great on you and the bolero is great.
Happy New Year. Hope you have a great time with your aunt and family.

February 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM  
Blogger heavyaura said...

You look gorgeous! Happy New Year! Our family went to our first Chinese New Year festival tonight -- it was amazing!!

February 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Michal (Skeletons Out of Closet) said...

The dress is so beautiful on you! It's really flattering. The necklace is also beautiful. Love your style!

February 5, 2011 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOVE the dress! it looks amazing on you <33
lovely photos too :)
-Rosie x

February 5, 2011 at 7:46 PM  
Blogger dc said...

I absolutely love this dress AND IT SUITS YOU WELL TOO!
DC
xx
http://dentelleetchocolat.blogspot.com/

February 6, 2011 at 6:24 AM  
Anonymous potpie du monde said...

That dress & that necklace is SO perfect!! Looks lovely on you!

February 6, 2011 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger Gemma D said...

Perfect outfit, and happy chinese new year :) xx

February 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

love all the colours !x hivennn

February 7, 2011 at 1:31 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

LOVE this. You're so good with color, you know that? And I love your little denim jacket. I love little denim jackets. I need more of them in my life.

Sorry to hear about your fringe-incident. I always regret bangs. I tend to get a bug up my butt and decide that I must have bangs, right now, at this moment, so I grab a scissors and cut them myself. Of course, this always results in big huge disaster, and I end up crying the rest of the day and night. I'm anxious to see yours, though! They can't be too bad?

February 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger liz said...

I love so many things about this outfit! The denim with the dress, the many rings, the sparkle, the fun print.... cute cute!

February 7, 2011 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger Hannah | The Outfit Repeater said...

I know how incredibly frustrating it is when your bangs don't get cut the right way, I hope that they grow quickly! I guess you could try sporting a lot of headbands for a while to slick them back.

Your dress is very pretty (and I'm sure it wasn't Katy Perry, the real deal fireworks came out way before her song, haha) and the jewelry is so cute and colorful!

February 8, 2011 at 7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look so great in that dress, and I love it with that jean cropped jacket! Thanks for sharing about the Chinese New Year. I love to hear about how other cultures celebrate holidays :). Happy New Year to you!

February 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger Artfully Awear said...

Oh, wow, I am in love with all of this fab jewelry! It's like icing on the cake!

February 8, 2011 at 11:39 PM  
Blogger Lien Van Melkebeke said...

Happy New Year ! love the big pink ring ! xo

February 9, 2011 at 4:24 AM  
Blogger Anika http://www.byanika.com said...

J`adore! you are so beautiful and stylish love. I want to give you a big hug and go shopping with you! <3

February 9, 2011 at 6:24 AM  
Blogger neffbot said...

You look adorable - I really really love that dress and also the cropped jacket with the puff sleeve detailing - it looks really good!

February 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger LeeLee said...

I LOVE this dress!...and it looks adorable on you! and oh how I love the large pink stone ring!!! xoxo

February 13, 2011 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger Rikke said...

I love this outfit! You look gorgeous :)

February 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home








 



EMAIL: themerrytraveller at gmail dot com.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter