Monday, January 3, 2011

OOTD: Hello 2011

This is not really my outfit today but what I wore on New Year's Eve. Some may have seen the Dorothy Perkins haul I posted here and it included a White Smudge Pleat Dress which I totally didn't see till I was already at the counter waiting to pay. It was hanging forlornly on a clothes rack with other garments and it was the only one of its kind. I wouldn't have noticed it but my eyes zero-ed in on it (Fate I should think!). I picked it up and it was just about my size (Fate again!) so I dropped the rest of the selections at the counter and proceeded to the dressing room to try.

It was Love at first sight.

I love the shape, the pleats across my bust, the fact that it had pockets and that the smudge effect could also be mistakened for a vague animal print so I can pretend to look fierce! I did have concerns about a larger girl wearing prints but I figured we can all learn to step out of our comfort zone once in a while.






The material was stretchable and really comfortable. If I didn't emphasize enough, the slight drapes across the bust give the dress details but in the most subtle manner and I like it. The pockets I love so much that I kept my hands in and forgot to take them out to show you my gorgeous red bow ring.

Some people hate it but a tulip skirt shape is one of my favourite designs because it gives me hips, making it appear like I have somewhat a little curve to boast of. The drawbacks are that the material itself is clingy and I found it unceremoniously plastering itself onto my tummy which I do not like although a bigger size should fix the problem ... except Dorothy Perkins in Singapore stops at size 20 whereas they carry up to size 22 online. Pfft. It was also a tad short so it wasn't very comfortable for me throughout the night since I was sitting on a high stool.

Bows for Dorothy Perkins White Smudge Pleat Dress:



Most of the previous New Year's Eves were a little low key and involved staying in or attending disciplined house parties since we found ourselves partied out during Christmas and this year was no different (or so we thought). We arranged to meet at Wala Wala for live music, dinner and some drinks. It should be a relatively quiet affair except ... we started drinking 5 hours too early before the crossover. During dinner, we polished off 3 drinks which we first thought would last us the entire night but nooo, they were all slipping down our parched throats in an hour. Subsequently, we ordered a bottle and started cheering for any reason at all. The live band was rocking that night. I found myself screaming out lyrics to The Killers' "Mr. Brightside", Florence and the Machine's "Dog Days Are Over" and even to "Auld Lang Syne". Because I had such a fantastic New Year's Eve, I truly felt 2011 started most gloriously with a bang!









No prizes for guessing who had pointy nips à la mode de Madonna under the influence of alcohol.

White Smudge Pleat Dress: Dorothy Perkins
Red Chandelier Earrings: Dorothy Perkins
Flats: Melissa Ultragirl Flocked Faux Velvet

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


posted by The Merry Traveller at

23 Comments:

Blogger Gazel M. said...

You look cute.
I love tulip dresses too, idk why, everyone rags on it but I looove it.

January 3, 2011 at 11:49 PM  
Blogger dc said...

This dress is so hot! Inspiring!
DC
xx
http://dentelleetchocolat.blogspot.com/

January 4, 2011 at 1:15 AM  
Blogger Kristel Knows said...

happy new year beautiful! love this pics, and you look beyond AMAZING! love the dress and you look really pretty!

January 4, 2011 at 1:51 AM  
Blogger Bethamint said...

Gorgeous dress, a belated happy new year to you - amazing pics as usual xoxo

January 4, 2011 at 3:08 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

You look lovely!! That dress is indeed, very sexy! And i love that bow ring! ;)

Great New Year's pics, looks like you had a great night! :D

-Christina <3

January 4, 2011 at 3:25 AM  
Blogger Anika http://www.byanika.com said...

oooooooooooo I love this look on you honey! The pop of red is inspired and inspiring :) love your style.

January 4, 2011 at 6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You look stunning :) Looks like you had such a fun New Years. I hope 2011 brings you all the happiness in the world!

January 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger BBM said...

i cant get enough of u! u are so adorable and that dress is so perfect on you! happy new year hun!

January 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger thomessa said...

You are looking gorgeous!! That print looks really good on you and the red accents go really well with it! Sounds like your NYE was great!! :)

January 4, 2011 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger ElleBee said...

The dress is lovely on you and that red bow ring is absolutely adorable! Great look to ring in the new year!:)

January 4, 2011 at 8:26 PM  
Blogger ThriftyMomma said...

Love the dress and the red accents. Your red bow ring is a stunner...just love it! I didn't see it listed as to where you got it:( I love the cut of your dress and the print, so pretty. Looks like you had so much fun lol...Hope the new year brings your hearts desire:)

January 5, 2011 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Una said...

I lovie this dress on you and it's got pockets. The bow ring is adorable. Any girl that can turn party hats into accessories is super cool in my book. It looks like you had an amazing time. Happy New Year!

January 5, 2011 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger pearlslaceandruffles said...

You are so cute! Can I please have your face?! But seriously, you look great. I hope 2011 is great to you!

I don't know if anyone else has the same problem that I do - but when I come on your blog some of the images/text on the left of the screen is missing, and theres no way to scroll over to see whats there. I use firefox browser. Just thought you would want to know! xoxo

www.pearlslaceandruffles.com

January 5, 2011 at 9:02 PM  
Blogger Le blog de Letilor said...

Happy new year.
Great dress, like the pattern.

January 6, 2011 at 2:26 AM  
Anonymous Stiletto Siren said...

You look very cute, i love this dress on you and the print is so nice but still fun!
xoxo
Stiletto

January 6, 2011 at 3:11 AM  
Anonymous Bella said...

And you look super fierce in this dress! I for one am a total believer that curvy girls can wear anything they want (other than those "slim" jeans I can never squeeze my ass into) but they look especially fabulous in animal prints! Grrr! Love 'em! Almost forgot...love the ring!

January 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You look beautiful, I love the pictures and the dress is pure hotness, love the bow ring too! NYE pics are hilarious haha I'm guessing the next morning was hell :P

January 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger CurvyGirlChic said...

You look fab in this dress--the print is gorgeous! Love that you paired it with red earrings.

Happy New Year hun! :)

xo Allison of CurvyGirlChic

January 7, 2011 at 3:49 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh my gosh, the dress is amazing, you look gorge!

January 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger StylishForever said...

These are such amazing shots, you have a lovely blog hun :)

Stay gorgeous!
stylishedforever.blogspot.com

January 7, 2011 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

That dress is beautiful! I would have thought it was animal print, if you hadn't described it first as smudge-like! So cute and flattery and adorable and fierce!
Can something be both cute and fierce? Yes, in this dress, it is proven possible!

January 8, 2011 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Nnenna said...

This dress looks amazing on you and I love your little red bow ring! :)

January 9, 2011 at 6:20 AM  
Blogger Confessions Of A City Girl said...

You look so pretty! Love the dress and that ring!

~Sherine
Check out my blog and follow if you like!
Confessions Of A City Girl

January 16, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home








 



EMAIL: themerrytraveller at gmail dot com.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter