Sunday, January 9, 2011

OOTD: Polka Throwback

Does anyone know what is the signature look for the 80s? I googled and was horrified by the big bad hair and outfits so bad that it's good.





Or maybe I should just simply stop using ABBA as a reference.

I have this Dinner & Dance night coming up in 2 weeks and I have no clue what to wear! Part of me just want to wear my ASOS goodies that I procured during the sales but it will be fun to dress up too. If you have any ideas of what I could wear to an 80s party, let me know via comments!

And talking about the ASOS sales, I have been a very bad girl (always) and impulsively adding things to the cart. I actually bought both colours of the ASOS CURVE Embellished Scalloped Hem One Shoulder Dress and also a ton of the other one-shouldered dresses and I don't even like showing my arms because unlike CurvyGirlChic who looks amazing bare-armed, I have a condition called "Keratosis Pilaris" which is like acne on the arms and I feel incredibly self-conscious which brings me to the set of outfit pictures today. The ASOS Curve Tie Waisted Dress shows arms and I had to cover them up due to my insecurity.








Verdict for the ASOS Curve Tie Waisted Dress:

It is made of a much heavier material than I expected. The first thing I thought when I lifted up the dress was how heavy it was. It has its pros and cons. It is made of a very durable, solid cotton material but that also means that it is a trifle warm to be worn for hot, humid weather but would be perfect if anyone cares to layer this for the cooler seasons. This dress ran true to size and I was attracted by how much it seems like a serviceable frock in its simplicity. The one thing I didn't pay attention to when I was buying was the odd waist hem design as shown in picture 5 above. Did you notice how the waist hems didn't match? I thought it was a flaw initially and was getting all ready to email ASOS for help but then luckily, I took a close look at the item again and it appeared to be by design. I certainly don't know what the purpose is but I just found it very strange.

Bows for the ASOS Curve Tie Waisted Dress:




Dress: ASOS Curve Tie Waisted Dress
Polka Dot Jacket: River Island
Necklace: New Look
Bow Flats: Dorothy Perkins

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


posted by The Merry Traveller at

21 Comments:

Blogger Le blog de Letilor said...

Cute again ! love your jacket !

January 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger ElleBee said...

I would have no idea what to wear to an 80s party, good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I think the Embellished Scalloped Hem One Shoulder Dress in the navy especially, is going to look fab on you!

The dress you just posted is very cute too, love how there's a little tie to make a bow in the front!

January 9, 2011 at 7:10 PM  
Blogger Natalie Mulford said...

I've been trying so hard not to buy anything. I'm rather broke & seem to just keep spending what little money I don't have, but OMG some of the sale items on ASOS!

I have the same insecurities about my arms, I tend to cover mine 95% of the time. I just don't like my arms, they are my one weak spot.

I love that dress! I didn't notice that about the seams either, but I wouldn't have noticed it in the pictures if you hadn't pointed it out!

January 9, 2011 at 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute! I really like it!

January 9, 2011 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger Bethamint said...

I think the essential thing to wear to an 80s party is LEGWARMERS!

January 9, 2011 at 10:19 PM  
Blogger The Jenesaisquoi said...

I agree with Bethamint you can totally wear leg warmers and an off the shoulder sweatshirt. Or something ruffly and lacy would be good!

But on another note I have KP on my arms also. It annoys me and I often want to cover it up. But I try to push through. I use a cream call KP Duty and sometimes I use Amalactin and it helps alot! You look very cute in these pics! I love the polka dot jacket!

January 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM  
Blogger Gazel M. said...

You are so beautiful.
I love the colour palette here.

http://bonjourgazel.com

January 9, 2011 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger dc said...

I absolutely love the blazer! You are gorgeous!
Thanks for that review, I wanted to order it but I won't, I also tought the material was lighter!
DC
xx
http://dentelleetchocolat.blogspot.com/

January 10, 2011 at 4:16 AM  
Blogger Erin {Plus Sized Pretty} said...

You look so lovely! That is a great dress but very strange about the hems! It's still cute though. ;)

For an 80's style I first think of big hair, like Cyndi Lauper. She had a good style that'd be a lot of fun to dress up as I think! I also get inspiration from my favorite 80's movie, Pretty in Pink. I love Molly Ringwald's character's style in that film.

January 10, 2011 at 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Thriftymomma said...

You look very lady like. I bet it may wrinkle a lot but it's looks like a fantastic layering piece. I didn't notice the waist until you mention it and yes that is strange. Still very pretty color and the little jacket is so cute!

January 10, 2011 at 1:02 PM  
Blogger Keep Warm (Danielle) said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog! And your posing comment... I always feel so awkward!
I think even with the funny waist that this dress is lovely. And I pretty much will have a crush on every polka dotted thing in the world so I love the coat with it. You look just beautiful!

January 10, 2011 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Anna ♥ said...

ABBA's costumes really scare me! - The 80s signature look, to me, is early Madonna or, if you want a little more colour, Cyndi Lauper. The most important thing is probably heavy accessorising :)

January 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Stiletto Siren said...

Very cute! I love the vintage look of this, and that blazer is fab!
xoxo
Stiletto

January 11, 2011 at 2:31 AM  
Blogger BBM said...

you are killing me with that jacket girlfriend! its perfect! perfect way to add a lil icing on a neutral dress. ure adorable, i must say.

January 11, 2011 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Nnenna said...

We have an 80s dance at my school every year and it is so much fun! As far as what to wear, maybe a sweater with a crazy pattern (think Cosby show) or a side pony! :)

January 11, 2011 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Meri said...

Haha, oh the 80s were something else. I caught a rerun of "whos the boss" today and was laughing so hard at the baggy shoulder padded suits and ratty feathered hair :)
Love the polkas you're wearing.
Cute blog!
Meri

January 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger coco kailee said...

Awe, this look is so sweet! (I love the 2nd pic!!!) The muted colors look beautiful on you too, that stoney gray (or so it looks that way on my computer) really compliments your skin tone, which I'm super envious of btw. And I like the odd waist hem design. It gives the dress a really great quirk :}

Idk why, but I loathe 80s fashion XD BUUUUT I do LOVE me some ABBA! *sings, poorly* Take a chance on meeeeeee...


xoxo coco
http://www.muffintopbaby.com

P.S. Personally, I think you would ROCK a pair of Dany's. They're surprisingly easy to walk in too haha

January 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Brenda Jean said...

DARLING, JUST DARLING!!*&#^%

January 12, 2011 at 5:32 AM  
Blogger Katrin said...

I love this madonna, cindy lauper a bit of punkrock style for the 80s. We have had a big punkrock scene in the 80s in Germany, so I always like to see this as an inspiration. Lace gloves, big plastic earrings.

This pink cardi on my blog is leopard print, its from H&m.

Your look is lovely, this jacket is so sweet!

January 12, 2011 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger L & V said...

aw, u should look up Madonna from the 80s.

you look so adorable in that outfit!

January 12, 2011 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Pretty Penny Mae said...

I'm sooo happy that you did a review for this dress. I've had my eye on it since it showed up on the website, but just kept talking myself out of it for some reason. It looks really great on you and I love the color. The waist seam is very odd, but you really don't even notice it. I think I may have to pick it up if it goes on sale!

Brooke
prettypennymae.blogspot.com

January 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home








 



EMAIL: themerrytraveller at gmail dot com.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter