Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Review of the ASOS Curve Blossom Print Playsuit

Item in question.

You know me. I am like an unofficial ASOS Curve fangirl. Nearly every piece sent me ooh-ing and aah-ing and even if they are less than perfect, I live with it, try to make it work as long as it is not disastrous.

So far so good.

So I was in a hurry to order last week because it was the end of a workday, I was ordering together with a coworker and we wanted to consolidate our orders and just sent it off. The order arrived yesterday (kudos for the fast shipping though). I brought it home today and wanted to try it on. If I actually want to do a review this fast so much so that I took the photos myself at home, it only means that it is either so good I can't wait to share or so bad I had to stop the world. Yes, it's the heroine streak in me.

First thing I noticed when I took it out of the package - the material. The material is cheap and it is noticeably cheap. It is the kind of material I expect to see from a Bangkok wholesale market where clothes are like £5 a piece, not from ASOS, not at £35. Seriously, I can get this type of material from Chinatown or any textile shop at a low cost.

Second thing I noticed as I was attempting to unzip the side zip for the first time, there was a teeny weeny hole right next to the zipper. Now this is a nightmare. If the hole gets bigger, it will affect the zipping of the playsuit. And what's more, this is its virgin unzip. Can you imagine more unzips to come? Not me.

Next, the sleeves. The sleeves are tight. Even with a bit of elastic, it is still uncomfortably tight. It is the kind of sleeves whereby you expect your blood circulation to be cut off after a while and your arms to turn purple-black and drop off.

Next.

You mean there's more?

Discolouration. I have experience with cheap material since I buy from Bangkok ever so often during my shopping trips. I know material like this is prone to discolouration so I scrutinized the playsuit and sure enough, I found a discoloured blossom print. The start of Spring became the end of this playsuit's dream.

How about the fit?

Having owned one playsuit from ASOS and loving it, it is hard to conceive that I'll hate this one. This playsuit is short on me and I am no model height at 5'5. I'm positive my granny undies will have its heyday should I bend over. Because it is short and the material is so thin, it keeps riding up my inner thighs which is superbly annoying and I am just prancing around my room! Comparing it to the Exclusive Vintage Inspired Playsuit, this fit is far less generous and is the tightest ASOS Size 22 I've ever owned. It also broached on my major pet peeve - clinging to my tummy. The bust area is generous though. The only thing I like about this playsuit which the other one also has is the back of the playsuit. It has a button-on strap over the neck to hold the shoulders in place and I just found it cute.






Would I buy it at a fraction of the price, let's say £9 on a major clearance? Not likely.

Hey, how many bows for this piece?

I really find it hard-pressed it to give it even half a bow. So it'll be none. Everything has a first I guess. From the extraordinary six bows down to this. On the other hand, the other two pieces I have from the same order are quite nice.

Labels: , , , ,


posted by The Merry Traveller at

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

oh noo :(
im so sad you got such a bad item from them!
it sucks too, because asos is usually so good!
Rosie xo

March 22, 2011 at 11:31 PM  
Anonymous Stiletto Siren said...

Thanks for such an honest review, its good to keep everyone informed and hopefully it will push them to improve the product!
XOXO
S

March 23, 2011 at 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! That's awful and especially because the item has to come so far to reach you. Thank you for reviewing. I was considering buying either this or the rose print jumpsuit. However, after seeing some reviews I don't think I'll bother now.

March 23, 2011 at 1:17 AM  
Blogger cherry vidal said...

see thats one of the reasons i love your blog you give it to me straight! and i appreciate your reviews as we seem to be similar sizing! anyway i love Asos and i often find problems with sizing but when they get it right they get it RIGHT! xoxo

www.lifethrutheeyesofacherry.blogspot.com

March 23, 2011 at 1:49 AM  
Blogger Immer. said...

THANKS!!!! I have it in my bag and your review has help me a lot

March 23, 2011 at 4:01 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

whilst the print on this is cute it's annoying that it's bad quality and doesn't fit well. you should return it, i would!!


Bow Dream Nation xx

March 23, 2011 at 4:15 AM  
Blogger Gazel M. said...

I hope you can return that, that's disappointing.
I love ASOS but some of their clothes have ehhh. Iffy material.

bonjourgazel.com

March 23, 2011 at 6:29 AM  
Blogger Rikke said...

Wow, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I hop you'll return it! But thanks so much for the honest review, that's what makes online shopping better and easier for many of us. Do you (or any of you other ladies) know of a review of the rose print playsuit or the mink, studded (in the clearance)? I'm considering one of those.

March 23, 2011 at 7:08 AM  
Anonymous Bella said...

That's what I love about you, you keep it real. And in the long run, that's what helps all the ladies who actually buy from these online websites. Good job on this review, lady. On a positive note, I like the back part of the jumper, with the little button closure. Oh well, you win some you lose some. C'est la vie! :)

March 23, 2011 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger The Jenesaisquoi said...

Uggghhhh that sucks that your playsuit was so horrid... I hope you can return it or do something with it.

March 23, 2011 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Keep Warm (Danielle) said...

Poor you! Everything about it was less than good! Can you return it? For credit?

March 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Una said...

Wow on ASOS. Sorry it didn't work out and thanks for the review. ON the upside your other pieces from there are fantastic. P.S. I'll try and see what i can do for the denim challenge. I don't usually dress it up but for you I'll see what i can conjure.

March 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger thomessa said...

Dang, it's a bit disappointing that ASOS slipped up. & it's a shame because the print is so cute, hopefully they'll never release anything so tragic again.

March 24, 2011 at 6:43 AM  
Blogger dc said...

I also noticed a drop in quality with some of their garments!:(
DC
xx
http://dentelleetchocolat.blogspot.com/

March 24, 2011 at 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry it didn't work out :(. But I do have to say that your writing was really entertaining to read, especially about your granny undies :x!

March 25, 2011 at 2:08 AM  
Blogger Erin {Plus Sized Pretty} said...

So disappointing! I'm sorry it sucked so much.
On a positive note, I just noticed your new blog style and I am in love! So cute and fun! (I loved your old style too, which i'm not sure if I ever commented on!)

March 25, 2011 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger See said...

I've always wanted to try asos clothing but i was hesitant. this makes me more hesitant. :/ but thanks for doing the review! i would love to see the other purchases you made.

March 26, 2011 at 3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home








 



EMAIL: themerrytraveller at gmail dot com.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter