Monday, April 18, 2011

OOTD + Dorothy Perkins Event

My dear fashionable friends, I have not forgotten you! Truth is, I have been devoting myself to work and nursing yet another cold and preparing my trip to Taiwan but in the midst of schedules and illness, I still have a little time for fashion pursuit!

I recently participated in a search for Style Scout programme by FashionFastForward so I was given a little liberty to step into Spring with Dorothy Perkins at their Great World City outlet and take as many pictures as I like in the open! We each received a goodie bag, thoughtfully prepared little sandwiches and cakes (so that we would no doubt be able to clutch onto our shopping bags with one hand and sandwiches in another), cool beverages to soothe the rising temperature of the passionate crowd, style and makeup tips from Barbara Koh, the Deputy Editor of The Singapore Women's Weekly and Karen from Shisedo. What drove the crowd into an absolute frenzy was the 20% storewide discount! As it goes, everyone loves a good bargain!

For those in Singapore who missed the event, there is always the next and the next and fear not, I took enough pictures to share with all of us! I spied so many outfits I would so dearly love to own that I became quite fearful for the well-being of my ailing wallet!


Ever since Miu Miu came out with swallow prints in their S/S 2010 collection, I spy the emergence of swallow prints in more and more items. Fast forward a year later, is it passé you ask? My answer would be no. If something feels right, fits right then it IS right. For me, it feels quite apt to have swallows in Spring printed all over these white shirts no matter when it was first made fashionable. I do think they would go beautifully with brightly-coloured skirts, especially the pleated ones that I am currently so fond of.


No one should have any reason to shy away from colours this season. Look how beautiful this coral Céline-lookalike purse stood on its own in the midst of tans and blacks.


Maxi skirts and dresses are swishing fabulously into the fashion world. If so, why not let it be this brilliant orange maxi with bold floral prints? You can't see it from the pictures but it has a dipped hem (shorter in front and longer skirt train). I really love the gold threading, giving it a touch of maharaja glam.




Here is a perfectly paired outfit, ready to bring you to your lunch. It gives a whiff of uncomplicated elegance and for an outdoors picnic, an addition of a little straw hat and a big sunny smile would bring songs to the heart of onlookers!


The one in the little cute jacket and harem jumpsuit is Barbara Koh and the girl in a pretty blue dress and a coral cardigan was styled by her to show how easy it is to bring florals into play.


Barbara, demonstrating how the use of a scarf can jazz up an outfit and no one should be afraid of patterns and prints.


Bright spots of colours against a sombre background, signifying hope emerging from the dark. If you are one of those who have always opted for darker tones, you could play it safe with an edge by opting for this which would just slightly shift you out of your comfort zone. And yes, I like to take pictures of myself in mirrors.


Sneak peek of my outfit as I passed by the mirror again. I was quite overwhelmed to wear a "Style Scout - Hard At Work" badge!



Isn't that the most darling gingham blouse with embroidered details? The moment I saw it, I knew I wanted to pair it with the denim button-down skirt, basket in hand, straw hat in my hair. Obsession with straw hats? You'll see why later.



There is something irresistibly feminine about ruffles. They are an interesting touch for blouses if in moderation and is easily one of my favourites to transition from a day to night look. I chose the pants below for a more well-tailored look that will bring you from work (add a blazer or a cardigan for a meeting) to shopping (lose the outerwear) to drinks in the evening (switch of shoes from pumps to heels or bag to clutch).



I think the shoes with the intricate knot details are simply gorgeous and stunning. I have to say I love them best out of the shoes collection.


Here's a shot of my friend, Josie, who always knew how to look good and rock her look in lace, fringe bag, shorts and all!


The red eyelet dress I tried and loved last week, days before the attendance of the event but have no means to purchase. Ignore my black leggings, I was lazy that's what it is!





Finally, that's what I wore to the event. I really wanted to have a chance to wear out my new blazer because I FINALLY found one that fits reasonably well! I paired it with my nudish chiffon dress and turquoise chandelier earrings, some glittery bracelets. The rolled up sleeves kinda got unrolled in the process of tug and tussel but it looks way better with them properly rolled up. The straw hat was an impromptu grab from a mannequin nearby and weird as it seems, I like how just adding something like a straw hat instantly downplayed my look into something more fun!

How many of you had a dream to write? How many of you have flipped a fashion magazine, read the columns zealously and wish that you are the column writer?

I seriously do not know which bee got into my bonnet but I remembered a dream years ago that I would like to be able to find an interest I would work towards which is a combination of writing and fashion. It just seems like the most glamorous job looking at how Anna Wintour, Carine Roitfeld do it. Somehow, nearing 30 and fatter than that ambitious girl of the yesteryears, whatever I had once dreamt of became just a passing fancy, a vestige of youthful idealism. How it came to be that I chanced upon an email urging potentials to take the chance to be the next Style Scout to ultimately putting my information in for a shot became somewhat a blur because I honestly didn't expect to be shortlisted.

But I did.

That day, I felt like a (pretentious) fashion journalist noob walking around, snapping everything in sight, making notes in my head, being daunted by all the other glamorous beings holding up the Style Scout badges thinking how young, slim and fashionable they are. It was tiring but one hell of an experience and I am glad because echoing Robert Frost, I took that first step towards a road less travelled and it made a difference!

So people, I did it!

Labels: , , , , , ,


posted by The Merry Traveller at

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post for numerous reasons.
1. You, YOU, took a chance to making part of your dream come true. That's HUGE! I'm so proud of you & it's no surprise that they picked you.
2. The clothes- OMG, how beautiful!! I love those knot shoes and that coral purse.
3. You look beautiful in those last shots. That eyelet dress really is amazing. Hopefully it makes its way into your closet soon (although I may have misread it and you did purchase it). I really love your outfit, the flowy, easy dress with the structured blazer works perfectly.

I'm glad you're back! Enjoy your time in Taiwan!!

April 19, 2011 at 12:47 AM  
Anonymous Bella said...

Dee, what an absolutely lovely post! What's not to love about it? It has fashion, personal anecdotes, lovely photos, reviews, accomplishments and wishes from the past that come true in the present! I seriously love it! You look sassy in the straw hat and that blazer just rocks! The black shoes with the intricate knot details just made me swoon! How sexy and gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your wonderful day with us!

April 19, 2011 at 3:44 AM  
Blogger Franceta said...

I love this post. I am extremely proud of you for taking that step, you are defiantly courageous for doing so.

The clothing is TO DIE for. I just got my first Dorothy Perkins tester package to see how their sizing works, now I will be ordering most of the stuff in your post! haha!

I also love your outfit! So casual yet so chic!
Congrats on everything love :) ♥

Frantic Dreams

April 19, 2011 at 4:29 AM  
Blogger Erin {Plus Sized Pretty} said...

Congrats!! I am so proud of you for knowing what you want and going out there and getting it. :) Also, you look fabulous while doing so. That red eyelet dress is amazing and I love your straw hat!

April 19, 2011 at 4:35 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

wow, this event sounds (and looks) terrific! the red dress you tried on looks totally gorgeous and yey for swallow print, I'm definitely still a fan =)


Bow Dream Nation xx

April 19, 2011 at 4:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This looks like such a fun event!!! I love all of your pictures of it. That red eyelet dress looks AMAZING on you, seriously. Your outfit that you wore to the event is so cute, I love your hat! :)

April 19, 2011 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your outfit looks really great and I love that blazer.

April 19, 2011 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Congratulations! What a fabulous event...you look superb as always. I am loving the gingham top and swallow prints, as well as all the gorgeous COLOR!

http://lolarocksclothing.blogspot.com/

April 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger Gemma D said...

Beautiful post, beautiful photos I love them all, and beautiful outfit. That red dress looks amazing on you I hope you got it! xx

April 20, 2011 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger E said...

What an amazing experience! I love those knot detail sandals!

April 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger laura said...

Dee, you're back! Sorry to hear you were sick... but how exciting that you're going on a trip! is it for holiday?

I love all the photos you've posted! From the swallow printed tops to those beautiful knot sandals and the gorgeous red dress you're wearing! It sounds like you had an uber fun time! :)
hearts, laura♥
the blog of worldly delights

April 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger StephanieDJL said...

You look fabulous as usual & this event looks so fun!

April 22, 2011 at 4:07 AM  
Blogger thomessa said...

I'm so happy for you! This looked like an awesome and amazing experience! From the way you described this event, you don't sound like a noob to me! This was pretty much meant for you!!

April 22, 2011 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger dc said...

I really wish we had one here!
DC
xx
http://dentelleetchocolat.blogspot.com/

April 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Alissa said...

You look great and this event looks like it was so chic and fun to be at.

April 28, 2011 at 4:56 AM  
Blogger From Broadway said...

that red dress looked gorgeous!

May 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home








 



EMAIL: themerrytraveller at gmail dot com.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter