Tuesday, October 11, 2011

You Lose Some, You Win Some

Sorry for the long hiatus again.

For the last 2 months, my world took on a crazy spin and often when that happens, I blame it on the crazy nature of work that built up into an insurmountable wall. But this time round, it's the complete opposite. On the 24th of August, I was laid off. I was with the company for a good 6 over years - loved my job, served my customers well and enjoyed the relationships I had with every single one in the office.

On the 23rd of August night, the Boy and I stayed late in the office to have dinner before heading home but then he disappeared on me for a good half an hour and I sat down at his desk and played "Fruit Ninja" on my iPad. When he reappeared, his eyes were red and brimming with unshed tears. He led me to a quiet corner and told me gently that something really really bad is going to happen.

"We (Customer Service Operations) are going to be laid off tomorrow. Let's stay back and collect our things tonight. It's likely they are not going to let us into the office tomorrow to pack come tomorrow morning."

I was strangely calm and composed. We spent the next 2 hours backing up our data and I fervently dumped everything important into a travel bag and frankly made a mess out of my already messy cubicle. At 11 p.m., the privileged few who also got wind of the news came back into the office and started crying. Finally we left for home and I did not sleep the entire night.

Next morning, we were one of those earliest to arrive. True enough, there were security guards preventing us from accessing the office. We were directed to meeting rooms in groups and the Vice President of Customer Service Operations murmured his prepared speech in cowardice, his eyes not looking up into the accusing eyes of ours. We were then given our severance packages and that was it. We were officially no longer part of the company.

We lingered a long while in the lobby of the office building, saying our goodbyes, getting each other's contacts. Some still managed a smile, some wept and the mood was sombre. However I was proud that all of us conducted ourselves in dignity. All 140+ of us. Some of us met up regularly during the period of our unemployment. Some just texted each other. Some commiserated on FaceBook but all of us were encouraging to each other and genuinely happy when one of us found a job. That was more than a month ago.

I was told that the current job market requires a 3 - 5 months search before landing with something. I was one of the very lucky few who managed to get a job within a month and this being the only job who called me up for an interview. The process to eventually land with a job was arduous. Amidst the trauma of being laid off coupled with the fear of being unable to provide for the family, you have to grit your teeth to do a decent resume and modify it over and over again, meet up with recruiters face-to-face, talk to recruiters over the phone to promote yourself, trawl through the 1001 websites of job listings and filling up personal information on every company's career page. The most disconcerting after that is the endless day and night of waiting. Waiting to be noticed, waiting to stand out from the others, waiting to be called. Frankly speaking, it is an awful feeling.

But someone told me that when one door closes, another one opens and it is true in my case. In a case of serendipity, I now work for another Canadian company (previous being Canadian too) and I am into my 2nd week of work. There is a steep learning curve and I am working hard to catch up but at least I have a job and I am grateful.

I just want to let you all know what happened to me during this period of inactivity and I am truly apologetic as I also owe "We Love Colors" a review for a pair of tights they had kindly sent my way. I will try my best to get that up soon when I can. I now no longer have the luxury of taking outfit posts as my photographer no longer works with me but I will strive to do so during the weekends when I go out with the Boy.

Thank you to everyone who reads The Merry Traveller for standing by me. I wish you never have to go through what I had gone through and if you had, I salute you for staying strong.

I get to travel now to Canada twice a year - January and July.

Can any kind folks tell me exactly what I need to bear through a bitter cold winter and stay cute and plus sized? If you can redirect me where to buy winter clothing and how to choose my winter clothing e.g. coats, gloves and boots, I will be very grateful! I have never experienced winter and I have no damn clue!

Labels: , ,


posted by The Merry Traveller at

17 Comments:

Blogger Ariana said...

So sorry to hear about your hard times, but I'm happy that you were lucky enough to land another position so soon! Good luck with everything and look forward to seeing more posts from you!

October 11, 2011 at 1:29 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Sorry to hear about your job, I was in a similar situation last year and ended up loosing a job I loved too. I have also just got my feet back on the ground (I am on my third job of the year!) I do agree that as one door closes another one opens and I am very glad to hear about your new job. I hope learning the ropes goes well for you!

w x

October 11, 2011 at 1:47 AM  
Blogger alana said...

Good luck with your new job!

October 11, 2011 at 2:17 AM  
Blogger jijilovesyou said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 11, 2011 at 4:20 AM  
Blogger jijilovesyou said...

sorry to hear about what happened. i'm glad things are looking up for you now.
much love from the neighbouring country,
jijixx

October 11, 2011 at 4:21 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

I'm so sorry about this. I know how you feel- I was with my company for 10 years (since I was 18!) and they let me go on the month of my 10 year anniversary. I was just married for one year and had to provide for my family as well. I'm so sorry you have to go through that.

Winter is awful if you don't have the right clothing. I recommend LL Bean for warm puffers, and Lane Bryant. Best of luck to you and thank you for the update. I love your blog and was curious of your hiatus.

October 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger welldressedmaker said...

Dee, I am so sorry to hear about this, but you're right-- as one door closes, another one opens! And I'm glad that you have a job! Job searching is tough-- I know, from experience as I've been searching since June-- and we just have to jump at every opportunity. I am (as always) anxiously awaiting your blog posts!
♥ laura

the blog of worldly delights

October 12, 2011 at 1:50 AM  
Anonymous Bella said...

Dee, I'm so sorry to read about your recent difficulties! However, I am glad you seem to be getting back on your feet. I trust this new job will bring you new opportunities to flourish like the star you are! I wait with bated breath for a new blog post of yours! Miss you, girl!

October 12, 2011 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad you found another job, it really sucks how companies treat employees but business is business I guess. I'm so happy for you, you're a strong person and you'll always land on your feet :) Come back soon, I miss your outfit posts!

October 17, 2011 at 2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

new job that requires you to travel to canada twice a year?! now that's what I call a silver lining delly!

October 21, 2011 at 6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you settle into your new job quickly and wish you good luck. Steep learning curves can be its own adventure. You get to travel in your new work! Continue being the Merry TRAVELLER!

October 21, 2011 at 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Peg said...

Hi Dee,
I'm from Canada and will be glad to give you pointers. Weather wise it all depends on what part of the country you are going to and when. Send me a message through my site at www.literaryplaces.com or www.asiapacifictravelnetwork.com

All the best,

Peg

November 2, 2011 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger Michal (Skeletons Out of Closet) said...

I've recently lost my job too when the big boss just gathered us in the meeting room and told us they are moving to NY and we are not. It hurt so much and I didn't know what to do with myself. I found myself smoking after 3 years of no smoking...

The thing about laying off so many people together is good for you as you are not fired because of your abilities but the company luck of abilities to keep it's employees. You will be fine. You will find a wonderful job, I'm sure of that. I wish you all the luck you need!

November 2, 2011 at 9:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

omg! How did I miss this post!? I'm sorry to hear about your last job, but congratulations on the new job! I hope you will start putting up outfit posts soon! I miss your outfit posts! :)

November 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger Mode Plus said...

Losing your job is such an impact especially if your job is needed for your finances. I was also laid off and stayed unemployed for over a year. Boy, this was the most hardest period ever. I respect you for being so open on your blog. I just couldn't share anything. Thankfully I'm working now and loving what I do, but I'll never be as carefree as before losing my job. Hope to see your style soon.

January 6, 2012 at 6:01 AM  
Blogger Creativehappyness said...

Where are you love??

March 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Rebecca said...

I still think of you, just so you know <3

May 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home








 



EMAIL: themerrytraveller at gmail dot com.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter